life in Mercyville

Give me the "easy button"



The "easy" button seems to have taken over our way of doing life in our culture of ease, even in the life of believers.
Let's take the easy road.
If it's hard, don't do it.
If it makes me uncomfortable, I won't.
It's too risky, no thanks.
I may loose friends.
If I admit wrong, others will see my weakness.
I will look the other way, it's easier.
The cost is too much.
The sacrifice is too high, we just can't.


What do we forfeit by taking the easy way?
What would happen if we chose to not be so quick to hit the easy button?
The building of character.
Teaching our children by example.
Growing in endurance, a proven faith.
An opportunity for the gospel to be on display in our lives.
Transformation, sanctification.
The process of being refined, the ridding of idols, sins, etc. that keep us from being useful.
Fruit that seems to flourish after having gone through difficulties (because we abide in the Spirit) - love,  joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

In light of Scripture:
"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." James 1:2-4 ESV
it seems that pressing the "easy" button, or taking what seems to be the easy route will in the end be the greatest loss.

1 comment: