life in Mercyville

The Giving More Tree


One of my favorite storybooks is Shel Silverstein's The Giving Tree. A book with a telling tale of sacrificial giving of a tree to a boy that she loved very much. However, when my days of college were done, having used this particular book to teach creative writing, even math, I picked it up again. This time I was a mom reading it to my children. It struck me that after all of the love and sacrificial giving of the tree to each whelm of the boy, the boy learned nothing, but grew in his selfishness.
As a mom, I must learn to give more, teach my children well. So when asked to share at my children's Mother's Day program at school, I decided to rewrite my favorite story. This story from the point of view of a mom who loves the Lord and desires so much more for her children….hence,

The Giving More Tree


    Once there was a tree…and she loved a little boy.

"For you created my inmost being;

You knit me together in my mother's womb.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;

Your works are wonderful. I know that full well."

Psalm 139:13-14



And every day the boy would come and listen to the stories the tree would tell. And he would gather her leaves and make them into crowns and play king of the forest!

"She will set a garland of grace on your head

and present you with a crown of splendor."

Proverbs 4:9



He would climb up her trunk and swing from her branches, and eat her apples. The tree would tell him often, so the boy knew exactly from Whom she bore this sweet fruit.

"She speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue."

Proverbs 31:26



And they would play hide- and- go- seek. And when he was tired, he would sleep in her shade. This was often the precious time that the tree would spend praying for the boy. And the boy loved the tree very much. And the tree was happy.

"Her children arise and call her blessed."

Proverbs 31:28



Soon time went by, and the seasons changed. As the boy grew older, the long hours spent under the tree grew much less. The boy often seemed distracted, but the truth was ~ he was hearing every word!

Still the tree prayed, gently corrected, and seasoned her instruction with love.

"Apply your heart to instruction and your ears to words of knowledge."

Proverbs 23:12



All too quickly the boy grew to be a man, married, and had children of his own. He shared with his children the stories that the tree had told him. He prayed often, corrected gently, and seasoned his instruction with love.

"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth."

3 John 1:4

Once there was a tree, and because of a mother…

"He is like a tree planted by streams of water,

which yield its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither.

Whatever he does prospers."

Psalm 1:3

2 comments: